Thursday, January 28, 2010

Week three: Online Meetings

I've participated in a few webinars for my current jobs, and I was holding my breath each time I logged in. The Wimba Participants Guide will come in handy the next time I participate. While I was reading today's information I got sidetracked and found some interesting archived webinars that I can view through SirsiDynix. There's also an interesting blog done by Joan Giannone at Mentor Group Training. She's talking about 'roving'-one of my favorite subjects.

It's 2/14/2010 and I've just finished listening to an archived SirsiDynix webinar by Helen Blowers, creator of 23things and digital librarian at the Columbus Public Library. The webinar was entitled 'From Libraries to Lifebraries.' Ms Blowers took an outside-the-box look at the future of libraries. One view is of libraries as facilitators that can help patrons develop new knowledge. She cited self-publishing book sites,lulu and blurb.com, and talked about libraries collecting digital copies of the average person's books. Her thoughts are very new to me and hard to imagine, but who knows what the future holds for libraries. Right now viewing webinars is a great way for me to learn what's new and to keep up in the profession. I've subscribed to Sirsidynix podcasts and plan on viewing them from my IPod Touch.

1 comment:

  1. Getting sidetracked is part of the fun of 23 things! - Sharon (mentor)

    ReplyDelete